Did you know that in Ireland, on February 29th of leap years, it’s a tradition for women to actually ask men to marry them? Why are women so keen on marriage, though? What’s a signature, a notary public and a piece of paper have to do with love and life? Turns out that men and women have a totally different idea of what is important in marriage to them.
- Women need to live and feel that extra romantic step. Truth be told, apart from discussing having children together, a marriage proposal is just about the most romantic thing a woman can think of – this is why there are all these stories of extravagant and crazy proposals, and not just the normal, perfectly romantic fancy-restaurant-down-on-one-knee stories.
- It’s wonderful knowing that someone feels like they want to be with you forever. A proposal of marriage is the ultimate commitment. It’s the biggest promise to stay with a woman that a man can make. Most likely, people don’t get married with the prospect that they’ll break up someday; of course it’s a possibility, but most really do believe and feel that they will stay together forever when they decide to tie the knot.
- For a woman, marriage provides extra safety. This may sound cynical, but it’s comforting knowing that it’ll be a little bit harder for a man to just get up and walk out the door. This is especially important when children are involved. So, we’re not just talking emotional neediness, it’s financial, emotional and family stability we’re talking about. Of course, if one partner isn’t happy, then by all means they should have second thoughts about staying in a marriage; but at least no one will easily leave at the drop of a hat.
- When a man proposes, a woman knows that the man is taking things seriously and not just going for a romp or a casual relationship. You may say, but a couple doesn’t have to get married to be serious. That’s very true, but women are constantly insecure of men’s intentions and fidelity. Because of men’s bad name as happy-go-lucky lovers and chasers of one night stands, women are constantly afraid and find every single man capable of walking out on the relationship at any given moment.
- Women wait for men to ask them to marry them because of tradition. It’s pretty weird to think of women asking men to marry them (although, shouldn’t it really be that way? “I want to put up with you and your man-isms and raise your kids for the rest of my life”? Just kidding, guys!) Even though it’s a paradox, it’s normal for women to expect men to propose because it seems definite that women are always ready for commitment, while guys are ready to leave for their next sexual adventure no matter how they feel. It’s as if only the man has to show his intent of commitment, while women are always ready. Hopefully, this might change one day and more women will start to propose – hey, even men get scared and insecure and need romance!
- Some women believe that their wedding day has to be the best day of their lives. They have to be the star of the show, have to put on expensive gowns and jewelry and be as pretty as they can be. They’ve been waiting all their lives for this day, and will stop at nothing to make it a reality – even their own future husbands can’t get in their way! As material and un-romantic this might seem, it’s been going on for centuries, and will most likely continue to go on forevermore.
Have you got a marriage proposal or wedding story, or need advice on your relationship? Share it with us! You may end up helping our fellow readers!
You might also like: